1. Old friends, interesting decisions
On Monday, one of my oldest friends popped into the Cities for a surprise visit. I hadn’t seen him in three years, putting him in the “long-lost” category, plus he was the victim of my first crush (he came to my fifth birthday party and gave me a My Little Pony, how could I resist?). So when he and another friend showed up on my doorstep, good sense went out the window. A bar was visited.
I also played a round of Star Trek Scene-It with the guys because I am a patient and understanding lady.
2. “When I was your age, television was called books.”
The Princess Bride is my favorite book in the world, and I’ve read it at least twenty times. I once wrote a ten-page essay about the movie adaptation (for a class, not just for fun, but don’t tempt me). So when I heard it would be playing for free at Lake Harriet, I planned to go. Then when Vita.mn had a contest on Facebook calling for the best line from the movie, I went with my favorite (above) as delivered by the wonderful Peter Falk. And surprise! I won a DVD and a poster. Obviously I already owned the DVD (my love for all things Princess Bride cannot be overstated), but it came in handy when the outdoor showing was rained out and my friends and I needed to finish the movie somewhere else. And the poster (by Landland) is really cool and makes me feel far hipper than I actually am.
This is such a silly joke, but it makes me legit snort-laugh every time (and there went all my hipness):
3. I ain’t never had a friend like Manolo
There were so many awesome activities this past weekend, and Manolo was there with me for just about all of them, so here’s the condensed version of How We Roll:
– 1/2 movie in the park, 1/2 movie in an apartment (Friday)
– Teaching Manolo About the Vikings lesson two: It’s more fun when we win! And it’s even better when we’re with friends at a bar and later a dance party and scroll up for the dog-of-censorship again! (Saturday)
– Volunteering at Feed My Starving Children – special session for the Horn of Africa (Sunday)
– Discovering we know all the words to “Friend Like Me” from Aladdin while in my let’s-pretend-it’s-soundproof car (Sunday)
– Obon: Japanese lantern lighting festival at Como Park. Manolo won a girly pink purse for betting on what I can only describe as chicken-fighting ninjas. Way to step up your game, universe. I truly did not see that one coming. (Sunday)
– Laughing obnoxiously (Every day)