1. “MMMBop,” Hanson
I love this song. You love it, too. It’s come into heavy rotation lately after reading Love is a Mix Tape, but I played it about seventeen times this weekend because that’s what I do when I get older: try to get younger.
2. “What I Got,” Sublime
Only because I heard it 4 times in 2 hours on Sunday. I’m not sure what the radio gods were trying to tell me (“you might get run over or you might get shot,” happy birthday!). Sunday was good, though: Lulu’s, mom, groceries, used books…the end of 22 was pretty similar to the whole of 22.
3. “Roc Boys (And the Winner Is…),” Jay-Z
I spent the actual birthday doing some serious shopping, using every birthday-related discount and gay man at my disposal. There’s something about a trip to VS that puts a spring in a girl’s step. The Roc boys are in the building tonight.
4. “Ladies’ Choice,” Mandy Moore
Mandy, I just can’t quit you.
5. Probably MMMBop again
6. “Welcome Home,” Wookiefoot
My coworker gave me a Wookiefoot mix. Aside from a Lulu’s sweatshirt from mom, that was my only gift, and it was more than I expected. Perhaps I am growing as a person; perhaps I’m being honest when I say I don’t need things, I just need attention, and maybe a little…
7. “Respect,” Aretha Franklin
That’s right, respect the birthday girl. WHAT you want! Baby I got it! WHAT you need! You know I got it! It doesn’t get any better than Aretha.
8. “The Power of Love,” Huey Lewis and the News
I met my brother and a friend for lunch, and K told me that he heard a HL&N song, and thought of me. This is my legacy.
9. “Sweet Emotion,” Aerosmith
This is also my legacy. I DARE YOU to listen to Aerosmith and not think of me a little. Also, it was on the radio. The radio gods wished me a happy birthday.
10. “Skeleton Song,” Kate Nash
I met Steve for some H&M-ing and pizza; with Steve-time comes Steve-singing-to-his-CD-collection time. Luckily he has a good voice, unlike some selves I could mention; also luckily, although we have dissimilar musical interests, I kind of dig Kate Nash a little.
11. “Plant a seed plant a flower plant a rose, you can plant any one of those!” I can’t sing as high as pre-pubescent Taylor Hanson.
12. “4 Minutes to Save the World,” Madonna and friends
Steve also makes me think of London, which makes me think of Madonna, and this was the only Mo song I could find on the radio. I only like the part where JT says “Ma- DAAAAAH-na;” otherwise, the song just makes me realize Justin Timberlake is not the man to call in times of impending doom. Why are you dancing with a partially-plastic 50-year-old? WE ONLY HAVE FOUR MINUTES!
13. “Don’t Stop Me Now,” Queen
My new (used) Queen CD is also in heavy rotation lately, and this song makes me dance. There’s no better place for Rachel-dancing than an isolated house in the woods with no witnesses aside from one almost-blind poodle.
14. “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You,” Bryan Adams
Because I still love this song, and I heard it on the radio, and I just watched the episode of Arrested Development where Gob sings along with himself singing this song as Franklin.
15. Isaac, Taylor, Zac, hit me with your funky 1997 beats!
16. My mom singing “Haaaaappy Biiiirthdaaaay Tooooo…you know the rest.” Then my dad called and we spoke for a whopping 52 seconds. The enthusiasm in my family is overwhelming.
1. “MMMBop,” Hanson